From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:26:09 -0600
Hello Peter & All,
I have done my homework on cerana and actually suggested a cerana
introduction might not be such a bad deal years ago. The paper Peter
presents is 18 years old.  Since then we have quite a bit of new
information.

In certain areas of China cerana is kept by commercial beeks and the size in
certain areas is close to mellifera. Yields are much higher than 4 kg. per
hive.  Beeks which went on the China beekeeping tour said 25 kg. and up at
times. The hives they were shown were smaller than the melifera they were
shown.

The main way cerana survives varroa jacobsoni is the fact only in very rare
instances is varroa able to reproduce in cerana worker brood. .

>Through millions of years of being parasitized by the mite, the bees appear
>to have developed some degree of resistance to its attacks.

This statement is pure BS.

Varroa jacobsoni was first noticed and discovered in 1904 so to say V.J has
been a parasite of cerana for MILLIONS  of years is a big leap. The above is
the kind of statement presenters do not make when I am sitting in the front
row of a presentation as I will call their hand everytime.

Just as much proof exists V.J. might have first parasitized cerana in say
1903. I realize Peter took the statement out of context but without a doubt
the number one reason cerana survives V.J. is the mite not being able to
reproduce in cerana worker brood and NOT abscounding although abscounding in
feral colonies would help for sure..

Yes in rare cases a v.J. has been found in  a few worker brood but the
worlds researchers and most published information says V.J. does not
reproduce in cerana worker brood. Ever!

bob