From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:52:00 -0700
>Personally, myguess is NC is so virulent that you do not see dysentery
because it never

> gets that far.

Does not appear to be the case, Bill.  Bees can live for some time with high
levels of N ceranae spore in the gut.

>All that my point was is that no dysentery is not a marker for NC.

Actually, no dysentery is not a marker for anything!  : )

Dysentery in bees is poorly understood.  For instance, I haven't found
anyone who can tell me if the color of the material is due to plant pigments
from pollen, or from proteins from the bees.  Bill, it is too late for me to
find spotting in California.  Could you do me a big favor and dissolve some
dysentery spots in a drop of water and place under a scope to see if there
are pollen grains?

If you can't do this, could anyone else on the List?  If you don't have a
scope, please place some scrapes into a fold of paper and mail them to me,
so that I can check.

Thanks in advance!

Randy Oliver