Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:21:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Tim concerning his outlandish claims
Couple years ago, someone favored me by adding me to Tim's group.  One of the group was new, had put a package of bees into hive, and then weather turned to rain, and bees were starving.  What to do?  My comment, feed them.

Two weeks later, after being categorized by the group as the 'reason' bees were in such bad shape (old dogs sticking to incorrect practices - time to get out), being cursed with strings of 4 letter obscenities - because I mentioned that I assumed the bee would rather eat syrup than starve, and any sugar (from their perspective) was probably better than death from starvation, I had to dig into Facebook to find out how to ungroup myself and block this group from my pages.  

Civil discourse isn't in their vocabulary.  Real knowledge of bees and practices is clearly lacking.  They're not the only ones to ever use large colonies, make lots of splits, etc.  I've seen everything from bees in pots to two-queen systems with jumbos, from  a hollow log to the Flow Hive.  The one constant, the bees accommodate an put up with a lot of nonsense from  us.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt

-----Original Message-----
To: BEE-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Nov 8, 2017 6:21 am
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Bees in small hives live longer

a Mr Linder snip followed by> my comment.... 
Funny conversation,  at the same time is this there is a facbook post with someone in particular crowing about how no one can do the math on mites in his hives as he runs 3 deeps with 18 frames of brood,  and varro pop doesn’t go that high!

In fairness  I have tried triples and unlimted broodnest,  and my nectar/pollen flows do not support it at all

>I think many of us here have tried to have a conversation with Tim concerning his outlandish claims of hive population and especially frames of brood in a hive (which seem to defy basic bee biology???).  I would suggest that there are various forms of math but there is a concept in economics called diminishing margins (the law of fixed proportions) which at least suggest that no matter what you are talking about there is always a 'sweet spot' when it comes to output (returns) vs input (cost).  Personally I never obtain much confidence that Tim ever had the capacity to do the math no matter what it's form.  Tim always seem more willing to toss insults than to interact in a meaningful conversation or exchange of ideas. I never could (now or in the very distant past) figure out what was the allure of working bees off of a ten foot ladder but the law of fixed proportions should suggest if you are just considering  output (excluding the extra work and risk of the ladder) vs input larger is never better. 

>The idea that larger hives would maintain lower varroa number just seems wrong and as many know large population can be more about lucky timing than any other variable you might wish to consider.

>Early on when Seeley published some of this work the treatment free crowd (which I guess I am an unofficial member) focused on the word 'small' with several thinking this meant a smaller (individual) bee.

>The honey crop here can be quite variable but typically never anything to brag about.  At least at this location I have had the most luck with running single or sometimes story and a half and then a queen excluder much in the same way Jerry Hayes describes in one of those old articles in the ABJ (about 1984 or so).  Ideally a very small or non existent bottom entry and a top entry about the excluder.

Gene in Central Texas....

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2