From:
"Laura A. Downey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 15:40:05 -0500
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 14:05:09
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Laura A. Downey" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Mite Resistant Beekeepers
>
>To all list recipients:
>
>>Don't get me wrong.  I am very sorry for your loss, and share your
>>wish for mite-proof bees.
>
>I don't think so.  (Sound familiar?)
>
>>I think the question of who can honestly think of himself and call
>>himself a beekeeper these days does need examination and that's why
>>I commented on the list.  I think the rules have changed without many
>>of us noticing.
>
>The arrogance of certain beekeepers is not needed on this mailing list.
>Whose rules, yours?  I am not going to participate in my hobby according to
your rules.  Self-appointed god-like beekeepers ruin this list.  I know of
quite a few people who have left this list due to just this singular attitude.

>>The implication seemed to be that it is somehow the bees' fault (not
>>being mite resistant) that they are all dead.  Not so.  Bees
>>properly kept will still survive - even today.  We have the tools.
>
>Funny, I didn't read any implication that the bees were at fault.  You know
what happens when you assume things.  Some people do too much assuming.

>>If you have been allowing your hives to collapse with varroa, I pity
>>your neighbours who are (hopefully) doing everything right.
>
>I pity those who think they are better than others.  Fortunately, they can
only do themselves harm.

>>Why not get with the program?  It's not *that* tough.
>
>Condencension is not needed on this list.
>
>>The ante for calling yourself a beekeeper has been raised.  Mites are
>>here.  There are no mite-proof honeybees.  Even *mite-resistant* bees
>>need an insightful and competant beekeeper who is prepared to use
>>controls as indictated.  There is no magic bullet.  You have to think
>>and observe and manage - and raise your sights.
>
>When did anyone say there were might-proof bees?  Once again, someone is
assuming too much.

>>If you don't - no matter what you wish - you are not a beekeeper
>>anymore because you simply can't keep bees alive - and that is the
>>*minimum* standard.
>
>Gee, there must be a lot of non-beekeepers out there.  I doubt if all
beekeepers are 100% successful every single year.  I know of several
commercial and professional beekeepers who have lost their bees to mites.

>>I hope you - and others - find this useful.  I spent two and a half
>>hours trying to say it nicely.  How did I do?
>
>I don't think so.  I did not find this useful in the least.  Condescending,
abrasive, patronizing, and downright rude are more like it.  If beekeepers
can't get along, then this hobby and livelihood certainly wont last long.
We learn from each other, including each other's mistakes, not by ridiculing
someone for their mistakes or misperceptions.  I joined this mailing list to
learn from others, not to listen to them berate others for their own
personal benefit.  This isn't the first time I've seen this happen either.
If you don't have something nice to say about someone else's problems, then
don't say it.  Why not go back to Netiquette 101...