Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:24:23 -0500
If you are correct in your assumption that there is no foulbrood
associated with these combs then possibly they might be usable if they
have first been exposed to the fumes of 80% Acetic Acid.  The usual
method is to stack the frames in boxes, seal all the joints with duct
tape, put some cotton wool  (to act as a wick) in a saucer on top of
the stack then fill the saucer with 80% acetic acid (taking the usual
precautions when dealing with strong acids).  Leave it for at least a
week.

You are taking a risk, though. I was taught never to buy, or to accept
as a gift, second hand comb unless you are totally happy with the
explanation of why it is not covered with bees.

A bonfire is the safest option or else turn the wax into candles, soap
etc.  About 10 days ago, my door was knocked in the night by a witch
(whom I hadn't previously met) who wanted beeswax for potions.  Of
course, being enchanted by her, I let her have all that I had and left
it to her to pay me what she thought right (and she was on the generous
side of fair), and, the enchantment being to blame, I also gave her an
empty comb from my TBH and read my ekphrastic poem on The Cell. Then I
sang my ballad on the life of the worker bee and she joined in the
chorus.  Next day, I discovered over the aether that she had been
working with a coven in potion preparation and had recited The Cell and
sung Worker's Rule to their delight.  This may be a new market!  There
seem to be far more witches around now nowadays, when we no longer burn
them, than there were in my youth, here in darkest Dorset. What's the
situation like where you are?

Chris