From:
Ghislain De Roeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2013 20:59:40 +0200
Interactive effect of reduced pollen availability and Varroa destructor
infestation limits growth and protein content of young honey bees
C. van Dooremalen, Stam, L. Gerritsen, B. Cornelissen, J. van der Steen, F.
van Langevelde, T. Blacquière.

Abstract

Varroa destructor in combination with one or more stressors, such as low
food availability or chemical exposure, is considered to be one of the main
causes for honey bee colony losses. We examined the interactive effect of
pollen availability on the protein content and body weight of young bees
that emerged with and without V. destructor infestation. With reduced pollen
availability, and the coherent reduced nutritional protein, we expected that
V. destructor infestation during the pupal stage would have a larger
negative effect on bee development than without infestation. Moreover, when
raised with ample pollen available after emergence, infested pupae were
expected not to be able to compensate for early losses due to V. destructor.
We found that both V. destructor infestation and reduced pollen availability
reduced body weight, abdominal protein level, and increased the head to
abdomen protein ratio. The availability of pollen did indeed not result in
compensation for reduced mass and protein content caused by V. destructor
infestation in young bees after 1 week of their adult life. Both V.
destructor and nutrition are top concerns for those studying honey bee
health and this study demonstrates that both have substantial effects on
young bees and that ample available pollen cannot compensate for reduced
mass and protein content caused by V. destructor parasitism.

See also:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022191013000449

Kind regards,

Ghislain De Roeck,