From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:46:48 -0700
> As far as almonds are concerned I am sure the shortage has
> been discussed in their newsletters as it has been at the spring
> meetings. 2010 and one other year of the last five there was a
> big shortage. Both those years the problem was directly related
> to industry hive health.

Bob, as I said previously, I'm not aware of any almond, apple,
cherry, kiwi, etc. grower associations that have claimed yields
of these crops have been compromised in recent years due to a
shortage of either native or managed pollinators.

Specific examples:  Here is a May 3, 2010 articile in the Western
Farm Press about the status of the 2010 almond crop:
http://westernfarmpress.com/tree-nut-crops/almond-crop-measures-up-0503/index.html

The article didn't say a shortage of bees compromised almond yields
this year.  The article said: "some growers who stocked 2.5 hives per
acre this year probably would have benefitted by having 3.5 hives".
and "Colony strength was a key factor this season. Blocks where
colonies averaged above 12 frames have a record crop, while growers
with colonies that were split into less than an eight frame average prior
to being moved into the orchard had a fair nut set."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.