From:
Barry Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 18:32:44 -0500
-----Original Message-----

>I have been working with bee's for past 5 year's.  The first two years I
>had very little reaction to bee stings.  However for the past three years
>this reaction has increased.  This year I got two stings, one on arm and
>one on chest. and within 30 minutes     both arms were swelling and I broke
out
>in hives over part of body.  It now takes about three days to get over
>this.  Has anyone had similar problem? is there anything I can take before
>working bee's to prevent this reaction.  Thank you for help.

You should talk to your doctor about your specific case but I have had good
results with Benadryl.  My doctor suggested taking it before working with
bees if I am certain to get a sting.  However, if I am careful with them and
wear proper protective gear (suit with zippered veil, gloves, taped ankles)
I rarely get stung.  I keep a bottle of liquid Benadryl with my equipment.
I also can't over-emphasize the effectiveness of quickly removing stingers
without "squeezing" out the venom.

My doctor also prescribed an inhaler and an Epi-pen in case of a VERY severe
reaction.  Thankfully, I have never needed them.  BTW, any other beekeepers
carrying Epi-pens - a massive recall of the products was announced this week
because of low dosage in some recently manufactured pens.