From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:43:05 -0700
Well, every year at this time, I get going on the subject of Pollen
patties, and why should this year be different?

I'm indebted to a number of people on this list for their advice, and my
bees have looked much better since I have started following their tips.

I guess I did myself a disservice -- in a way. and not that I really mind
by bragging up California Spray Dry yeast.  When I phoned California Spray
Dry, it turns out that they have no yeast from Oven A left.  Beekeepers
have been ringing the phone off the wall, and have snatched up every last
bit that was in stock and there will be no more until the end of January.

My problem is that I have extra staff now and want to make more patties
starting January 4th.  We have a few hundred pounds of yeast and of soy on
hand and have 500 pounds or so of BeePro, but that won't last long.

My question:  Has anyone used the yeast from Drier B?  Apparently it has a
larger granule.  That might make it a little less dusty to handle, and I
thought that it should break down into a slurry as soon as it is in the
syrup anyhow.  But I don't know.  Any ideas?

Also, Stan, you mentioned fennel oil as an attractant.  I did not get
around to using it and had no trouble with patty wastage.  Interestingly
enough, with our patties being 50% sugar, we found they disappeared
entirely even with pollen coming in.  Also, interestingly, Eric Mussen
says on his page at
http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/mussen/briefs/brief4.html
" Pollen substitutes will not generate brood production the way that
sources of incoming pollens will. However, pollen substitute will prevent
a total shut down of brood rearing if the weather turns bad for a long
time. Pollen substitute will lead to "fatter" winter bees in areas (like
the west) where pollen supplies are short in the late summer and fall.
Fatter bees, with more stored nutrients, winter better and rear more brood
the next spring than non-fed bees.
Bees do not find pollen substitutes particularly attractive. It must be
placed directly in contact with the bees as close to the brood as
possible. As long as the bees are bringing in a trickle of natural pollen,
pollen substitute will be consumed. If no pollen is being brought in, the
substitute will be ignored and will spoil over time."
This is interesting inasmuch as it indicates the opposite of what members
have observed about the consumption of patties when pollen is coming in.

Allen