From:
Steve Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:11:06 +0000
"There were several colonies involved at St. Andrews. They were in three
seperate apiaries and the infestations ranged from over 300 mites
dropped in a diagnostic test to only one. I have recieved this
information from a VERY reliable source.

Unfortunately it appears that something of a witch hunt developed, and
several of the 'hawks' put severe pressure on the unfortunate beekeepers
who found they had the mite, and as a result of beekeeper pressure, NOT
from the authorities, the colonies have been destroyed.

To me this is tragic, and at least one of the parties involved is an old
time beekeeper who has loved his bees and been diligant and vigilant for
years. This man deserves praise and support as he was sharp enough to
discover what others had not, namely that varroa is in his area. He did
not deserve to be hounded out of bees.

Dear Harry Murray and all,

I live 20 miles from St Andrews, I expect Varroa to come into my area very soon, and I am more vigilant,
and probably better prepared than my neighbours, who may not know anything of varroa (not you Gavin!)

There is no prize for guessing who in my area will find varroa first !

I am at the moment apprehensive of the "ignorant mob" who will decend and probably destroy all my hives
and put me out of beekeeping for good. I don't see how they can also get rid of the feral/wild bee
population which in my area probably outnumbers the hobby/commercial hives. In the populated central belt
of Scotland, which is geographically similar to the North of England, the mite is here, probably well
installed  and there is no point in destroying hives. To the contrary we need to be keeping as many
colonies going as possible, with effective management of the infected bees.

Harry's situation IS differrent, he lives in the Highlands, a sparsely populated area, with very few wild
bees, and  many miles of upland bleak mountainous terrain between him and the next bee. There are also
few if any wild/feral colonies in this area. In these situations,the only bees are managed bees, which
are largely dependent on skilled management to survive.

Harry and other committed beekeepers in the Highlands and Western Isles probably can keep varroa out, and
I will admit that here it may be logical to culling infected colonies. But considering the amount of
people who move hives to the heather, he may have to wipe out his entire stock every couple of years. And
how would he restock if he had to do this ?

Best wishes to all,

Steve,

Kilspindie