From:
Robert O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:15:13 PDT
I seen these advertised in the bee catalogs. I am thinking of building
one of the baggie feeders. My question is "How long are the slits that
you cut in the top of the baggie after it is placed into fedder box. I
have measured the baggie and it is about 10 inches square. Too if you cut
the slits too long, wouldn't about the sugar syrup run out of the baggie.
Would not the heat cause the syrup to expand and run out too. Maybe thats
what is suppose to do? I would like to try one.
Anyone with answers to these questions?

Mark F. Almond
Concord, NC

Hi Mark

Don't use a baggie feeder unless you want to drown your bees. My first
ever package of bees coupled with a cold wet spring and a baggie feeder
was my first bee disaster.  Made the slits about one inch long just like
the instructions said and baggie drooped and leaked all over the frames.
The poor bees clustered on the inner cover trying to get dry. If the weather
had not been so cold they might have dried out and cleaned themselves
up. They have to travel too far to get the syrup and a much better method
is a gallon jar on inner cover hole surrounded by empty hive body and cover.
My second package thrived and ate 5 gallons of 1:1 sugar water until I
felt I was pampering them.

Best Regards

Rob

Robert O'Hara