From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:27:27 +1000
For queen cells we use a polystyrene box called a "six pack esky" in
Australia.  We put in pre heated sawdust and then pack the queen cells in at
10 days old.  A layer is about 110 cells. The top is then filled with more
pre heated sawdust.  These can be held in an incubator before use.  We use
this all the time to carry our cells when catching queens.  We have sent
them by bus over 1,500 kilometres (around 900 miles) with success.  We have
also sent them by air but one lot didn't go in the pressured cargo hold and
froze.  The temperatures there get down to -50 centigrade.

As for the previous statement about healthy cells and healthy queens.  I am
asked if in the untested queen bees I supply there are some which will not
perform.  This is what I equate to be not healthy.  My answer is yes.  This
is because you are dealing with nature and everything in nature is not
perfect.  I quote the example of many race horses which are bred from the
best genetic stock and end up in tins of dog food.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA