From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2013 18:48:14 -0700
>What are signs in the earlier stages, or a case that has not progressed
that far?

Allen, there are various strains of AFB.  Some kill young larvae so quickly
that all you notice is an irregular age distribution of brood, since the
bees clean out the young larvae prior to them displaying "normal" AFB
symptoms.  In recent years I also see the signs that Pete described--tan
propupae with crosswise white striations, which test positive for AFB at
the Bee Lab.  These dead larvae can occur simultaneously in large patches,
but the overall sign of the frame is very different than classical AFB.

> >For example, do scattered dead pupae lying on their backs in
> normal-looking capped cells with tongue extended and no smell _necessarily_
> indicate AFB, or are there many other possibilities for dead pupae with
> extended tongues?

I often see dead melanizing pupae when there is a DWV (or other virus)
infection, prior to ever seeing adult bees with deformed wings.  But they
usu die prior to formation of an obvious tongue.  When you say "extended,"
do you mean sticking straight up as with normal AFB pupal tongues?

The symptoms you may be describing (fully-formed adults unable to emerge,
often with deformations) are also those of an insect growth regulator (IGR)
insecticide.  Might your bees have been exposed?

With AFB, at the time of bacterial sporulation, they release the
proteolytic enzyme that  causes meltdown.  This enzyme is what makes the
Holst milk test work.  You may wish to see whether your dead bees finally
melt down, and then test.

We are also seeing a strain of EFB??? that ropes a bit, and smells, but a
very different smell than AFB.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA