Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2018 07:04:46 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
a Bill T snip followed by > my comments..
I have not seen any posts that question her ability to asses the science.
The issues I have seen is that she is "peer reviewing" the article and her
comments make it appear that she  has the truth.

>I am never certain about other but typically when I see folks use the word 'truth' I have to figure they know little about science in the first place.  I would guess most folks (including myself) have a real problem even defining 'science' although as a term it is something my wife (the real scientist in the family) and I like to discuss. At it's very worst all the various 'scientific profession' use their own language (yep their dictionary is not that consistent) and so much jargon that most folks (scientist or not) are unable to follow along with what is said anyway.

>There can be a problem when folks prepose to write in a scientific manner and then reference data or an idea for which the is NO statistical validation.  That is called nit picking for those that wish to follow along with the conversation. There is also formatting protocol which if you fail to follow makes your writing not look the least bit scientific.  Perhaps most importantly writing in a typical scientific style is also boring and is often better as a prescription for sleeping problems than to enlighten your soul.

>IMHO the ABJ is a trade magazine which to me means it has a bit of science and many articles that the readers will enjoy personally.  I have enjoyed someone decision to increase the size of the print so that it is easier to review article with these aging eyes. IMHO the quality of both 'bee mags' that I review has increased steadily over the past 20 years.

>Some of the 'fluff pieces' read to me as personal marketing scheme but when read critically make the folks who created the piece sound a bit naive.

>just my 2 cents...

Gene in central Texas...  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2