From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:08:42 -0700
I was going to suggest that you modify your scale device to hook onto the
front only and calclate the weight from there ... then I see you don't want
to do that.  It would be interesting if you would weigh a number of colonies
in your normal fashion followed be a weighing by lifting the front only.
The degree of error would be most interesting.  I suggest that it will not
be great and that the ease of operation might outweight any potential error.

Another thought occurs to me .. that is, I don't really need to know the
precise weight of the hive because I don't know the weight that I must have
to go into winter.  In my view, there are so many variables and so much
conjecture going on that a small error in hive weight is on no importance.
But maybe I am just lazy :-)

>Rex - I have one for you. I weigh each colony in the fall, to determine how
>much hfcs to feed out. I use a metal bar with a hook welded on it. The hook
>holds the spring scale. Attatched to the bottom of the scale are two arms
>that grab the hand holes on the hive front and back. Trouble is - 1. it takes
>two people to weigh each hive, 2. after 1000 colonies, my arms and shoulders
>are dead.
>
>Would love an easier way. Something one person could handle. Something easy
>to use, set up, take down, and transport. I don't want to weigh 1/2 of the
>hive at a time, and then take an average. I want the real weight. I find
>that by weighing each hive, I can feed just what they need. No waste, no
>underfeeding.   Mike

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0
Ph/fax (403) 998 3143