From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:09:52 -0300
To quote myself:

> Fresh out of the steam chest the frames were put through two roller
> brushes for cleaning the woodenware. I think that would do a good job of
> cleaning.  However, the frames shot through the brushes too quickly, and I
> think I would have to add a backing plate that moved back slowly to
> release the frame, but increased the time the frame was between the two
> brushes.

I have since been in contact with companies that manufacture "cylinder
brushes".   I was told that this idea of two rotating brushes was unlikely
work, since it is the tip of the bristle that does the cleaning and with
rotating
cylinders the bristles will bend back and the side will contact the frame.
So,
with this in mind I got down on my knees and begged my significant other
to let me give her floor polisher a try.   Promising to clean it with a
tooth
brush after,  cook a nice romantic dinner ......    It has two rotating cup
brushes with a stiff natural bristle (probably boar).  They did not bend,
because they are densely packed on the cup and the pressure was right
down on the end of all the bristles.  But even this was ineffective in
getting
the cocoon out of the bottom of the cell (very effective at cleaning to the
top of the plastic cell wall, but not effective below that).

So, tonight I am soaking some frames to see if it will make any difference
and I am also considering some alternatives.  I could try lye to see if it
loosens the last bit of cocoon,  or an acid (muriatic), or a cup brush
with a stiffer nylon bristle.  I am also thinking back to a post by Tim
Townsend I think regarding using a HOT WATER high pressure
washer.  Now it is several thousand dollars for one of these, and then
the cost of using hot water.  I know that the cold water high pressure
washer that I own takes forever to clean a frame, although it does
eventually do it.  Any idea how long to clean a frame with a "hot water"
machine?  I would like to clean all the cocoon off and then wax the
frames before putting them back in service.

So, I am hoping there might be more posts on this thread with some
new ideas.

Thanks, Stan