Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:14:08 -0800
--- On Tue, 2/8/11, Greg Hawkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  "keep in mind that a swarm may not be quality bees and queen.  The queen will be the older queen, the bees may have mites, AFB, etc."

I may be mistaken and if I am, I hope I will be quickly corrected.   But I think I remember it being claimed here sometime in the past that swarms won't carry AFB.  I think all the AFB organisims are digested with the honey that the swarm bees carry with them when they swarm.  That honey is either used for the production of energy or for the production of wax.  In both cases the AFB spores are digested/excreted by the carrier bees.

Mike in LA