From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:39:40 -0700
>  I was wondering if
> anybody has any experience of using Swarm lures.

> Tom Barrett
> 49 South Park
> Foxrock
> Dublin 18
> Ireland

> Latitude  53 Degrees 16' North
> Longitude  6 Degrees  9' West of Greenwich

Well, since the guy in the next office (Justin Schmidt) developed the most
common pheromone mix, I'd say we have been happy with them for 13 years. His
particular combination is 100. microliters of  1:1:1 of geraniol, nerolic acid,
and citral in a 250. microliter "Micro Test Tube" with attached caps from BioRad
Laboratories, 2000 Alfred Nobel Drive, Hercules, CA  94547  (USA). Don't be
surprised if you can't find nerolic acid, and it can be left out. We put 2 tubes
in each black "construction paper" light shield, which is made from a 3X3 inch
square of paper and stapled at each end. The crucial thing seems to be the
plastic used in the tube, Polyethylene, which allows a SLOW release of the mix
through the tube wall. We make up probably 300 lures a year, for the survey
trapline and in developing new trap styles and for cooperators. This mix, used
with the Schmidt Trap, a wood-based plant pot and lid (Western Pulp Products,
Corvallis, OR (USA)) has been tested against all known trap systems, and really
pulls in the swarms. Probably a used hive with used combs would be the only
serious competitor. The "pinata" traps used in Mexico and Central America with a
cardboard box and plastic bag are much less expensive, but have never been shown
to be as effective.
   Of course any mention of a product does NOT mean the USDA-ARS endorses it,
etc, etc.
    - - Hope this all helps - anybody with a telephone could set up their own
trapping system with what I just told you. ;-)
  - John Edwards, Tucson
--
John F. Edwards
Biological Lab. Technician