Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2019 08:51:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
“The aim of surveillance in a biosecurity context is to monitor for changes to the health of human, animal or plant populations, and is essential to provide evidence of the absence of a disease or pest organism” – Keeling, et al. 2017. 

I’ve been interested in “sentinel programs” for quite some time in relation to the development of our Varroa Action Plan.  We need a cost-effective, sensitive detection mechanism for the early detection of Varroa (which we currently lack in Newfoundland & Labrador, as most of you probably know). Timely detection may allow eradication rather than establishment of Varroa. Good luck, eh?

It appears that Bee Informed Partnership’s sentinel apiary program has a longer-term health monitoring objective, not the early detection one that is critical to us, although their program could serve an early detection purpose in a crude way (in that the surveillance sampling is not strategic).

I’m intrigued by what they’ve done with a sentinel program in the U.K. where they wanted to concentrate sentinel surveillance activities on selected subpopulations to enhance detection and improve cost-effectiveness of surveillance efforts (Keeling, et al. 2017).

And, I’m greatly impressed by Australia’s biosecurity efforts with their 2000 National Sentinel Hive Program (now National Bee Pest Surveillance Program) which was set up to enhance early detection of Varroa, Tropilaelaps and tracheal mites and Asian honey bees. I note also their Code of Practice as part of the National Bee Biosecurity Plan, the Emergency Plant Pest Response Deed used to fund the current Varroa jacobsoni eradication program in Townsville (Queensland), bait hives at ports in Tasmania, South Australia and Victoria (through Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service and individual state departments), vessel and cargo inspections (vessel masters en route to Australia are required to report any detection of honey bees to AQIS before arriving at an Australian port), etc. 

In Australia, their risk assessment(s) concluded that the highest risk pathway for a Varroa incursion is their shipping ports.  This was borne out last June with the rapid interception at the Port of Melbourne of a honey bee colony originating in Texas. It was Varroa infested, and the eradication effort was successful.

I’ve spoken with Trevor Weatherhead about their biosecurity efforts. Thanks again Trevor!

BTW I made a formal request to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency last July about their protocols and practices re. exotic pests at the Port of St. John’s and other ports in the province.  I’m still waiting for a response (despite reminders).

Keeling, et al. 2017. “Efficient use of sentinel sites: detection of invasive honeybee pests and diseases in the UK.” Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 14(129): DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2016.0908.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2