From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:02:51 -0400
Gavin Ramsay wrote:

> By
> recent standards we're having a poor summer and the spring was late.
> Bumble bees are around in numbers, but maybe when that gentleman's
> broad beans (= faba or fava beans) were in flower the bees were
> elsewhere.

An excellent observation. The problem was probably not the lack of
bumblebees but the lack of other pollinators, including honeybees. I
have noticed that some bumblebee proponents tend to discount honeybees
in the combined pollination effort. That came across clearly to me in
a bumblebee pollination study in the blueberry fields in Maine. Really
bad study that showed bumblebees could do what 60,000 honey bee
colonies could do and even better.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine