From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:28:30 -0400
> Following this, I'll vacuum (bee-vacuum) the bees in crevices.  I'll
> move them into a Langstroth hive which I'll leave attached
> to the tree
> close to the old entrance.  This way, I'm expecting the
> remainder of the
> hive will move out  & into my beehive (provided the queen
> is captured,
> or all the honey is removed).  Anyone else have ideas of
> safe-capture
> for this type of hive?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Matthew in Colorado

The key is getting the queen in the new hive and trapping her there so
that she can't move back into the tree.  once the bees realize that
she is there, they will rob the honey from the tree and move it into
the new hive.  If the hive is very high, make sure you set up a rope
and pulley arrangement to lower it the ground.  If it is a large
colony, it can become very heavy and would be very nasty if you drop
them coming down the ladder.

Frank Humphrey
[ [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  ]