From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 22:05:05 -0400
>But has anyone bothered to collect the nectar and analyze it?

Of course, not only do the registrants do so, but has been done by a number
of researchers (although pollen is more frequently analyzed).  I'm sure
that Jerry B will weigh in with his data.  Cynthia Scott-Dupree may also
have data.

> >So it is known that a plant can be very poisonous and yet produce
> wholesome nectar. (The reason for this is that the plant is trying to
> attract pollinators to the flowers, but kill predators on the stems and
> leaves).

A plant can also produce nectar that is toxic to most organisms.  By making
its nectar poisonous to all but the preferred pollinator, the plant can
effect more efficient pollination.  We have some  nectar and pollen here in
Calif that are quite toxic to the European honey bee.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA