From:
Bret Leversha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:04:22 -0400
I wear a hooded Beekeeping Jacket and I would not go back to anything else, they are great. I can head to my hives wearing normal work clothes, when I arrive its just a matter of taking of top clothes and zipping up my jacket. After buying my jacket I have far less stings than when I was wearing a bee suit, no idea why. Make sure that the jacket you buy doesn't have plastic mesh as this degrades very quickly, always buy a jacket with a threaded cotton type material. On colder days you can wear more layers under the jacket to keep warm.
Also I highly recommend using hiking gaiters around the ankles, only get the hiking gaiter that has the tough strap the goes under your boot, this stops the gaiters from riding high up over your boot exposing your ankles. I have not had a bee up my trouser leg since using the gaiters. You can find them in your local camping shop.
Also I never work the bees without using gloves and they have saved me from many a sting be it accidental or on purpose, only sacrificing a little touch and precision that using bare hands gives. I find that a good goat leather and some cow leathers work very well and don't make hands sweat even in hot weather. Just don't bother washing them as they tend to dry hard which makes them useless.