From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:02:18 +0000
Randy:  Christina, have you actually spoken with starving farmers in those

countries.  In many, women do most of the work, and may spend most of their
days in simply hoeing weeds.

I have had many students in the Peace Corps in those countries over 30 plus years.  They come back and tell me all about it.   Women indeed are the hard workers there....in some places they are also the only workers.  They are also the micro-economic engines that keep things going for simple folks on a day-to-day basis.  The Women's Microfinance Initiative has been a tremendous success, AFAIK.

There is nothing wrong with hard work.  Many people enjoy weeding and being outside all day.....I'm surrounded by an Amish community and that's how they choose to farm.  I see them out there all day long weeding, day after day.  It is much more debilitating to be in a slum with no hope for any way forward, because you are no longer on your farm (thanks to "aid") and you have nothing to build on.

Education is key.  We can help with that.

If local scientists want to offer GMO that they have developed for free to their local farmers, and they think they'll have an improved yield and market outside their own countries, that's none of our business and they should do what they like.  I don't see how the US or any other country can interfere, or has any right to interfere with that.

Those are my opinions.   And now, back to bees.....

Christina