From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2016 07:01:15 -0500
a Mr Fischer snip...

'Was that "disrespectful" or not "polite"?
I think it is all in the eye of the beholder.'

my comments...
All the question of the plank in the offended's eye....  One does have to wonder if some folks don't take a discussion that doesn't agree with ever point they made as being disrespectful or impolite.  Meanwhile folks like myself think 'if WE agree on all points and all the time.... would we be having any discussion at all'?  imho that would certainly lead to a pretty boring life.   If you talk and write with a bit sarcasm (as I often do) then this is difficult to recognize as written text... but quite often quite recognizable in a verbal exchange.  Some folks might profit by reviewing terms like 'projection' in some text on human behavior of psychology.... which at least for me shed some light on other folks perception of disrespectful and impolite comments.

Around folks that do science it is my impression that asking questions and questioning how and why things were done and the conclusion they make are all seen as being a bit flattering.  You as the audience are paying attention to a subject the scientist finds important and therefore this attention reinforces the 'scientist' sense of self worth.  When I give a personal presentation quite often I can pretty much tell how well the talk went when afterwards folks begin (or not) to ask questions.

With several degrees under my own belt and now approaching retirement age (actually I pretty much retire 15 years ago which should at least inform some of how well my own life has transpired) I think I have come to a recognition of what I know well and what I don't know.  As to the latter category I don't mind going to folks that do know to obtain some insight into these subjects.  Here it is not that difficult when I do this to reference folks vita sheet and so questions of assumed or faux titles is less of a concern for myself.