From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:40:31 +0800
I am aware that chlorothalonil turned up as the most ubiquitous of the agrichems (after the beekeeper administered miticides) in a survey of residuals in US hives. Since this fungicide is used during almond bloom, presumably it was the source for entry into most commercial hives there.

Even though I am not a US beekeeper, this finding has concerned me considerably, since the fungicides including chlorothalonil, are in widespread use here too.

My questions are:-

1     Is it absolutely essential for the grower to use this at the time the bees are in the almond orchard, or is the fact that it is described by the manufacturer as "Bee-safe" causing the growers to adopt a "better safe than sorry" approach to managing their fungus problems, and are assuming that there is no danger to the bees or consequence for the beekeeper?

2    Are the adjuvants used as tank mixes to facilitate chlorothalonil fungicide effectiveness of concern to the almonds beekeeper pollinators?

3     Are any subsequent short or long term apiary management problems being attributed by almond pollinators to the growers use of these chemicals?

If this is a problem, and bearing in mind that view may only be supported by anecdotal evidence rather than peer -reviewed science, is there any alternative? In other words, if the beekeepers were experiencing problems as a consequence, would it be possible for the growers to adopt some other course of action to resolve their orchard problem?

At this stage it appears to me that  the burden rests on the beekeepers shoulders, who may have no other recourse than to replace a substantial number of brood combs in order to eliminate the influence of these chemicals. Whilst that may now be considered good husbandry practice in managing bees in todays chemical environment, its not so long since those well used dark brood combs were considered a prime asset in the beekeepers inventory! Whilst US almond pollinators may be receiving sufficient monetary compensation for this loss, we certainly do not, even though we essentially have the same problem and costs.

Peter Detchon
in south west Western Australia, which is currently experiencing the 8th heat wave of the summer, the most since record keeping started here.