From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 17:09:31 +0100
Pherovar is as it is described in our web site - it's a specific pheromone
blend isolated after 8 years research at the University of Udine, Italy. The
blend is specific to/from varroa mites and has no effect on bees or other
hive pests.

One dispenser is to be pinned onto a top bar in the brood chamber per hive
and left in place over 2 - 3 months during the brood period/honeyflow. It
reduces mite population increase by disturbing normal oviposition behaviour.

Papers are to be published shortly on the precise mode of action and
composition of this product. Meanwhile we are conducting a 3rd year of field
trials to finalise the dispenser loadings.

HOWEVER, please do not expect Pherovar to be a panacaea - it is designed for
use in Integrated Pest Management systems - use Pherovar during the summer
and something else, if necessary, before the end of fall.

Expect to hear more about it later; it will be available for NEXT SEASON
(2001). After 8 years research, that's not too long to wait.

Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited
Brook House, Alencon Link
Basingstoke, Hants RG21 7RD  UK