From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:48:21 -0800
Carl Webb
This is great to hear that the mites go into the small cell
the first year on broodnest changeover, but please note
what I have said happens from then forward with first
overwintering. The Broodnest acts like a living liver for
cleansing with the bees interacting and between the bees
removing the varroa and the non-reproductive activity the
small cell gives, you only see this the first year. There
on out the bees stay on top of the problem.

This action of seeing more mites on SC is because of mites
going into cells 1 per for first time until all cells
filled and then they start going in 2 per, etc. Because SC
has more cells per square decimenter, don't think something
wrong is happening, for it is not. And with NO reproduction
of 4.9mm top tolerance, then 1 mite in is 1 mite out until
old age sets in or grooming in phoreditc  state takes care
of the problem.

But for first time only it is good to see and then things
fall into place. This has been talked about here before and
is in the archives here and also, talked about on
beesource.com early on and explained when I was a moderator
there, and a few other discussion groups, until workload
pulled me back to only handle volume at the organic
Beekeepers site.

For the most part, again, after first fall major brood
turn, you really never see this again, and hence the need
for 3-5 year study programs, and not wham and bang and done
and fast conclusions for scientific noting, for science
must stand the test of time!!!

Dee

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs