Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:42:40 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Yeah...trade offs.  I was at a point where I just didn't have any more time to spend with the bees as I'm at the markets.  The "experts" tell me to just hire someone to sell my honey.  I found that advice to be worthless as I don't just sell honey, I sell myself.  I answer questions.  I educate.  I advise people who also want to start keeping bees.  People also talk to me about their problems, their marriage, their health, their aging parent's health, their grown children's pending divorce...the world is full of problems and few people who seem to care.

And attending the markets, consistently, over the years have netted me great recognition.  But that time factor.  I was almost planning to give up the markets this coming year, and the profitability of selling little squeeze bears at retail prices hoping now to make it up on the volume with a discounted wholesale price.  

Then my wife was given an unrequested "transition" out of one job and into another, freeing her up to take care of the markets (she loves this stuff).  Now I'm free to work the bees.  Since my wife wasn't going to do anything else with that unused time, there was little loss of an opportunity cost.

And it's not that I didn't like working the markets, they just take time.  My wife doesn't like the snakes, chiggers, ticks and poison ivy out in the bee yard.  I prefer working the bees by myself, a hopeless introvert.  When I am at the markets, I don't like that naggy little voice inside my head that reminds me of all the stuff I need to be doing as I pray the weather will cooperate with tomorrow's anticipated plans.  Now my wife can listen to all their problems.

Sometimes things work themselves out.

Grant
Jackson, MO   

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2