From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 08:08:43 -0700
Hi Allen and all:

Since we have been talking about this very subject on
Biobee I figured I'd post one here to get comments and
thinking going more and add to your already on going
thoughts on AFB. I think the thoughts of others need to be
gotten on this subject matter:

In a message dated 8/16/02 4:18:51 PM Pacific Daylight
Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> To ensure that this fits with the philosophy of the list
- a greater
> understanding of the
>  bacterial inter-relationships would surely benefit
biological
>  beekeeping, since there would be a better awareness of a
natural situation
> within bee
>  colonies.

Peter, yes, this is very badly needed for in the study it
was written:

A. eurydice, B. alvei and B. laterosporus  were frequently
found in cases of
EFB and are considered PRESUMPTIVE EVIDENCE  of the
disease, the causal agent
being M. pluton.

So here we have EFB and para-foul together, but also two
others. Quite a soup
mix! But why isn't this information given to beekeepers,
especially today
with the lesser like para-foul showing the high resistance
setting the EFB
off??

The article says: A. eurydice and B. laterosporous are
secondary bacterial
invaders and are considered to be PRESUMPTIVE EVIDENCE of
EFB. So if they
know EFB has this co-contained, shouldn't beekeepers know
all the culprits
causing their colonies to have troubles? I know that I
would certainly like
to know.

Also, for AFB to quite often show that B. larvae, the cause
of AFB is many
times successfully isolated from mixed spore populations of
B. larvae and B.
alvei or even B. laterosporus as viewed by SEM (Scanning
Electron MIcroscope
by the way for those wanting to know what SEM means) ,
shouldn't this also be
explained to beekeepers? Especially commercial in today's
world of woes?

Maybe if  beekeepers knew they were up against more then
one isolated problem
they might react differently as to how they approach
keeping such under
control in their colonies.

I know when we first found out, the unknowns were the ones
killing our bees,
I went ballistic, for who would know unless advised or
told? and then to find
them the resistant ones, left only one way out. . . retool
or dope with what
if nothing else approved for usage and we not like all
these various dopes
anyway.

You have heard me say it. We were living with mites on
5.0mm - 5.1mm sizing,
but not making a crop due to secondaries in la nina years
and playing ketch
up in el nino ones. But we had to break out of the time
warp loop. We did
this by betting on .1mm smaller for natural control of the
secondaries. But
in the meantime, where is the research on multi-infection
of colonies which
appears to be the norm, rather then isolated happenings?

Why no one want to talk on it and let beekeepers believe
otherwise? This to
me is the big question!

Best Regards,

Dee A. Lusby