From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:35:27 -0400
> I finished making my nucs on the 15th of August.
This is the latest I'd attempt to set up nucs in these parts (upstate
NY, similar to where Mike is located).  And I would only set up nucs
this late with a mated queen.  Regardless of the fall flow, which
includes Japanese bamboo (as discussed recently), golden rod and aster,
I would give the bees time to settle in.  From mid-August to "end of
brooding" allows likely 3 brood cycles, possibly 4 in a mild season, on
at most 2 1/2 brood frames (assuming the rest of the 5-frame nuc is
stores).  Assuming the nuc is made up on the strong side, one can
imagine that a nuc set up this late may be challenged to over winter in
upstate NY, where winters can be brutally cold and long.  Late summer
nucs can make it through a winter in good shape.  In fact, the past few
years my best spring bees have been my previous summer nucs.  The caveat
being, I usually advise people in these parts that summer ends July 31.
August nucs can make it in a good year.  In a bad year they can be
severely challenged.

And of course, all beekeeping is seasonal, and all beekeeping is
regional.  As Mike noted, Connecticut will likely have a few weeks added
to their window of opportunity.  Even Long Island (where Waldemar liver)
has a few weeks more than we do up here in the tundra.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!