From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:49:45 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, James Ralston
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>> Does anyone know whether the venom of the yellow and black bumblebee
>> has an acidic or alkaline based sting so I know what to treat the
>> sting with next time.
>
>No idea, sorry...
In a recent talk by one of our members who has looked into stinging in
the case of the honeybee (and the wasp) they mix an acid and an alkali.
It is irrelevant what the pH of the final mix is, since it is neither
the acid nor the alkali the body reacts to. It is the many different
other substances in the poison. In any case, you cannot deliver a
neutralising liquid into the bloodstream at the site of the sting. So,
use a proprietary or folk remedy. Unless there is a particularly painful
reaction or an allergic reaction, why not let your own body handle the
issue? Even children have to learn. It is IMHO a bit too easy to aim to
take the pain away, but if it is imperative then I have available a
simple and mild anaesthetic called "Waspeze" or a soothing balm.
--
James Kilty