From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:17:38 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] writes
>Murray,
>
>How do you sterilise polystyrene?
>
>Chris

This is the standard 'killer question' posed by those who query its use,
at least those who are fans of the gas torch.

Thus far I have not had to do so, so I suppose the honest answer is that
I have not yet decided exactly what to do.

There are many options, but obviously flame treatment, other than a
cursory one, is not one of the options. All depends on what you are
sterilising for.

Nosema and dysentry treatment where you would often flame wooden parts
are just as well treated by scraping and exposure to fumes of acetic
acid along with the combs.

For AFB I would generally destroy anyway. Never having had a case in all
our years tends to make me feel this is a small cost risk, even if we
were able to save wood but destroy polystyrene. I should think it quite
possible to scrape the interior clean and then give it a coat of paint
to seal in any problems. Or perhaps the scrub with lye (caustic soda)
method. Not insurmountable anyhow.
--
Murray McGregor