From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:33:39 -0000
Hi Blane,

You are right, of course that in the States, the widespread use of Apistan
has probably been the strongest selection pressure, as Klartan/other agro
formulations aren't used as frequently in beekeeping as in some other
countries (so I believe). This pyrethroid resistance was bound to arise
sooner or later, as there was only really one control agent being used with
a specific mode of action. It doesn't matter what the formulation was, the
resistance to the active ingredient was inevitable in the circumstances. If
there had been other types of treatment available, the selection for
resistant strains would have been at least slower, giving the industry
longer use of what tools it had.

It could be that resistance, caused directly by use of Apistan, has appeared
in Europe. It's possible. But in most European countries, besides Apistan
and Klartan there are commonly other types of treatment used which could
have some retarding effect on the emergence of resistant strains. The
account that I gave earlier, however, describes what happened in Italy and
it looks very much like the resistant populations emanated from one central
source. The uncontrolled dosage at that source must have had an accelerating
effect on resistance emergence.

It may also be true that the dose-response curves for pyrethroid-resistant
mites in the USA are similar to those in Europe - I don't know, as I've not
seen any of the US data but it would be interesting to compare. Do the US
mite population(s?)have the same characteristics as the Western European
mites? I agree that similar traits should probably be selected for and the
curves indeed should look something like those we have generated here. I
just wonder if you'll see the resistance factor of 400+ ? Maybe.

I'm not trying to set myself up as an expert and of course, I may be
entirely wrong. I do make mistakes - let's see now, I remember I made one
back in 1978....

Max

Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited