Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:05:47 -0400
>Thanks for posting this. It is exactly this level of close observation that will reveal what is needed about the dynamics of pest/host interactions.

It is a start, but actually we need much more complete observation to reach any conclusions.

We started with Max Disselkoen's assertion that after a broodless period that most varroa pile into the first brood sealed and die as a result.  I questioned that with an explanation of why.

Juanse took a look at a first patch of brood in wintered hive and reported no apparent mites there, but had no phoretic numbers to accompany the observation.

Randy says he is trying to make observations.

Me, I'm 2,000 miles away from my bees.

Jeremy says he sees unquantified effects suggesting that mites do enter the first brood in sufficient numbers to do observable damage, but has no numbers and no report of what is in the cells.

At this point, the original question remains unanswered, but we have received two apparently conflicting observations that suggest the phenomenon, if it exists is not consitent.

As I say, this is a start.  I suspect that the trained observers who work with mites daily like the guys at Baton Rouge know the answers, or some answers.  So far, though, we are still in the dark.