Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2017 23:05:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I would assume that a hive with 2 deeps and 2 supers would be *loaded* with food going into an Illinois winter. Unless the frames were empty (draught, lack of fall forage?), out of curiosity, what was the reason for the additional feeding at this time?

I’m wintering with 2 deeps in NY; granted, we don’t have Chicago’s occasionally bitter cold weather, but the winters here are similar and deep cold comes our way too. The earliest I put patties is March and by then they disappear within a few days. However, I did notice the SHB larva under patties if they stay too long, but have always assumed that there were a few SHBs that have survived the winter. This discussion is definitely making me rethink how long I will leave the patties on the next time, if at all. Or perhaps it’s time to invest in a freezer box, as all my bee stuff has already been evicted from the kitchen by the boss around here, :-)

Przemek

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 4:01 PM, Pruiett, Karen S <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> Yesterday I looked in on 6 colonies in a  (difficult to access) yard. On Dec.31, I decided to give them each 2 AP23 patties as insurance. All are in 2 deeps and 2 supers. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2