From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:00:16 -0400
> tried that approach {asking queen suppliers about Tracheal Mite
> resistance] and, found that it is easier to accomplish at the keyboard
> than in the real world.

Maybe it was that you had no intention of actually buying any queens.

Another problem may have been that you were not well-known to them.

>> I discovered that the National Academy of Sciences Report titled
>> Status of Pollinators in North America (2006) page 180 talks about
>> recommendation to improve honeybee health. including 3rd party
>> certification of queen producers. ties in with discussion on tracheal
>> mite resistance and how do you know if your breeder selects. this
>> sounds like an excellent idea.

Yeah, it would be a great idea.  Right now, there is far too much of an
"old boy network", where "who you know" seems to be an important factor.
But would the queen/package producers cooperate?

I think some would foot-drag, if not sue for "product disparagement" when
results of certification tests were published.