From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 19:42:33 -0700
Cristina asked:
What do you large-scale beekeepers think of this statement?

Well as a hobbyist (sorry Cristina) I do believe that I can make a difference by, 1) choosing the best locations for my colonies so that they, a) have a varied source for forage, b) are in areas where they are exposed to a limited (what ever that means) amount of chemicals, c) stay dry and protected from bad weather, 2) monitor them for mites and other pests and a) treat when needed, b) take actions to help them recover, 3) feed them when needed for a) build up, b) good health, and c) long lasting winter bees (fat bees), and on and on!

How many of you feel that you really know *each* of your hives?

As a hobbyist I can track each colony and adjust my management for the conditions and needs of each.  As such, I have a great sense of satisfaction when my management efforts assist a colony in building up so that I get the liquid gold and they live to go gang busters next spring.

As a farmer, how important do you think it is to know each individual?

I guess it depends on your goals and finances!

Scott Ball
East Bay, CA