From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2016 07:40:13 -0800

> >Randy is there more information on this?

Dave, I have four main sources of information:

   1. Scientific papers
   2.  Researcher word of mouth and presentations at conferences.
   3. Beekeeper anecdotal reports, and
   4. My own personal experiences and observations.

When I combine the above, I get a feeling for what's actually going on.
For most things, I can cite specific scientific papers.  Just this morning,
diutinus bees in fall, I went deep into analysis of several papers,
published by the same authors in different journals and trade magazines,
then downloaded historical historical weather data not included in any of
their papers.  In all, this took me over an hour, but the total synthesis
pointed out errors of interpretation by my collaborator (and perhaps the
authors).

My point?  There are only 24 hours in my day.  I spend typically 4-5 hours
before work each morning at my computer, answering emails from all over the
world, reading and analyzing, scientific papers, corresponding with
researchers, analyzing data, researching and writing papers, and posting to
Bee-L.

So I apologize for some of my posts being short.  I simply may not have
time to take another hour to dig out citations to support every comment
that I post.

Regarding your questions, there have been two papers of late that pointed
out that bee stocks from ag areas were less affected by neonics, plus there
was a researcher at a recent conference who also presented similar evidence
(but I can't recall at the moment).

Re miticides, in every country, as varroa develops resistance to various
synthetic miticides, beekeepers typically respond by ramping up the dose.
After a number of years, they reach doses that would not have been
tolerated by the bees when first exposed to those miticides.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA