From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:36:54 -0600
> Yesterday was bright and sunny, and hundreds of my bees were rolling in wood
> chips left from cutting firewood with a chainsaw.  Some of the chips were

Hello Bill -

A few years back I observed the same performance.  I had deposited a couple
of garbage cans worth of sawdust from my shop, out in the garden.  The
sawdust had gotten wet and on an early spring day, the bees were not just
picking through it, but actually rolling around it as a cat would do with
catnip, almost in a frenzy state.  All I could figure was they had found
something that solved a need they have in some way.  Reminded me of how
birds will roll and fluff around in dirt.  I don't observe that there is
anything in it that they pick up and took back to the hive.  Still a mystery
to me.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey