From:
John Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:23:39 +0000
As I, as new beekeeper see it, we have a means of effectively
controlling Varroa mites without the use of pesticide which THEY can
develop a resistance to.  The mites aren't going to get resistant to
being smothered by mineral oil any more than roaches acquire
resistance to boric acid slicing them to shreds.

Leaving it to the course of nature to develop resistance, I think we
would all be pretty well out of beekeeping due to lack of stock.
This is a safe, non-poisonous way to give our bees a chance and maybe
knock Varroa - an import that doesn't belong here - down to parade
rest.

I'm buying mineral oil tomorrow!!  It's cheap.  Apistan is expensive
and poisonous.  Simple equation.

John Alexander
Webmaster