From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 11:35:40 +0000
Hi folks,

> >... there is a certain time that the queen larvae are very
> > delicate.  What exactly is the time period (days from grafting) when the
> > larvae are delicate?
>
> I have found that the first days when the cell is capped, the larvae is still
> feeding from the jelly at the top of the cell and will fall down and die if the
> cell is handled roughly. If I have to touch cells at that time (cell protectors
> to avoid waxing up) I hold them upside down.

It was over two years ago when I took Sue Cobey's queen rearing
course so I am not sure of the timing.  However, the concern for
gentle handling of queen cells does not regard the larvae stage
(although the concern pointed out by P-O is valid), the time when it
is critical to handle the cells with UTMOST care is the period when
the queen pupae is developing her wings. At this time in development
a point was hammered home that the cells should never be held upside
down or "manhandled" in any way.   I cannot say with assuredness what
day that is, but it is close to the emergence date of the queen (a
day or two prior, I think closer to two).  I'm saying right up front
that these guesses are not reliable.  Perhaps Dave Eyre can/will
assist, otherwise hit the books.

Aaron Morris - thinking good queens don't just happen!