From:
Kathy Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:03:47 -0700
>Rotsa ruck, Mike.  I tried that for a few years, and the highway department
>mowed it all down when it started to bloom.

If you haven't already given it a go, it may be productive to contact your
State Highway Dept... might try environmental manager too who might be more
receptive to right-of-ways as forage.  List by State can be found at:
http://scoe.transportation.org/Pages/Members.aspx.

And.. supporting an effort at the national level to incorporate the Highways
Bee Act (HR 2381) into a transportation reauthorization bill. Individuals and
and organizations can also sign a group letter at http://pollinator.org/BEEAct.htm
and urge your Representative to cosponsor the bill. The provisioning does not
increase any funding but directs the U.S. Dept of Transportation to use existing
programs and authorities to assist states in reduction of mowing and to plant
native forbs and grasses for bees and other pollinators.

Kathy Kellison