Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:14:06 GMT+0200
Hi All

Just noticed the posts about the CO2 thing. With our bees I have
noticed they are far more sensitive to breath at night. The bees
become aggressive and run all over the hive with even one small
breath in the direction of the hive entrance.

A puff of some in the same direction, and then a breath of entance
and there is no reaction. My theory - smoke has active particles that
bind with receptors in the bees antenae etc temporarily inactivating
them. CO2 has little effect except at night when probably other
chemicals in our breath make the bees respond. Probably fatty acids
or so on (like the ones responbisble for body odour) that will react
with the bee receptors that are able to sense such chemicals.

Just my theory - the thing to test this would be to make a glass
bottle and blow breath through water at the bees. The CO2 could be
removed with lime and if the bees still react it is another element
of breath.

Keep well

Garth
---
Garth Cambray       Kamdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

3rd year Biochemistry/Microbiology    Rhodes University

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.