From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:39:28 -0400
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:32:38 -0400, Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I keep reading this mantra on the BeeL about "unsustainable practices"
>but migratory beekeeping has been going on for some time as has
>commercial agriculture. The argument is something I heard when I was in
>elementary school and was told that we would run out of oil, food and
>metals in the early 1970's and mass starvation around the would would be
>common by the bicentennial.

sure, great look around Bill what portion of the population is either overweight or diabetic? corn
syrup  rules. yep thats progress in agriculture and feeding America. geez its a disgrace....

likewise on the bee front 1/2 the colonies we had in the US in the 1960's, every other year another
bee crash/crisis. looks good eh? sustainable yes sir.

here's a definition for you, perhaps you are unfamiliar with the concept.

"Sustainable development is defined as balancing the fulfillment of human needs with the
protection of the natural environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but
in the indefinite future"

what so Luddite about that? where is the glory in commercial beekeeping or conventional
agriculture you are so fond of Bill?