From:
Steve Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 08:47:51 GMT
Mike

Yes I got the post, but it is confusing. I however have noticed bees flying at lights in darkness.
I occassionally move bees at night and have a powerful lamp to illuminate the whole apiary. Several
bees always come out and go to the light. Also If I remove a super of honey as the sun is going
down, and if there are several bees left thenthey will, as darkness falls go to any lights and buzz
them.
I wonder if your bees are coming out in the twilight, and then getting confused by the bright
lights. If it is warm, and the lights are very bright it may even confuse the bees into thinking
that it is daylight. They will then get confused, when they try to orientate to the light. It is
probably less of a problem in Scotland as the night-time temperatures  are low even in the summer .

...just some thoughts...but really I don't know!

Steve

Kilspindie

Scotland