From:
Steve Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:36:48 -0600
Relative to recent discussions on inspections and such, perhaps the
readers of Bee-L would be interested in the contents of a letter that
I (and presumably all registered beekeepers in Minnesota) received
this week.

"The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has recently been
informed that there is interest in the repeal of the Apiary Law,
Minnesota Statutes Chapter 19 (2005).  If you are in support of the
repeal of this statute (elimination of the state program), or in
favor of keeping the statute (retaining the state program), please
indicate your opinion by checking off the appropriate box and
returning the enclosed postage-paid post card by February 17, 2006.

In a September 2005 meeting with apiary representatives, we were
informed that the Board of Directors of the Minnesota Honey producers
Association (MHPA) had previously voted to seek repeal of the apiary
statute.  In addition, we were informed by MHPA, that the Apiary
Advisory Committee is in support of this position."

This is an exact quote of the first two paragraphs of the letter.  It
continues with a brief review of the statute and the statement, "MDA
is interested in ascertaining that an apiary law repeal is an
initiative of the industry as a whole."

The only comment I'll make right now is that I find it amusing that
they've "recently been informed" of a "September 2005 meeting".