From:
"Joel W. Govostes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 01:35:07 -0500
Hi Gerry,

The USA "standard" calls for the bee space above the frames. (Hives in the
UK commonly have bottom bee-space.)

How this turns out in practice is not so cut and dry.  I have seen hive
bodies with 1/8 - 3/8" bee space above the frames, and 1/8 - 1/4" below.
It varies.  I think most of the equipment from suppliers in the US has
about 1/4" above the frames, AND a scant 1/8" below.  This seems to work
out.

Problem is, with all the slight variations, you can end up with not enough
space or too much space between stories.  So the bees get crushed, or they
fill the space with burr comb.

A few years ago, GLEANINGS ran a series of articles about the woodenware
from a number of US suppliers.  The differences in bee space and other
measurements were compared thoroughly in the articles.  It was very
enlightening.  The degree of variation among the different manufacturers'
hives was pretty remarkable.  So much for the "standard" hive.

I have ended up with a number of pre-owned supers from various sources,
which were constructed such that there was virtually no bee space above the
top bars.  This is really frustrating, as the frames will get stuck to
those in the super above them.  What I am doing is gradually re-cutting the
rabbets to the appropriate depth (usu. 5/8") with a router.   I made a
simple guide out of some wood scraps which sets on the top of the super &
allows me to make a smooth, single pass with the router to leave the proper
rabbet (rebate). It isn't perfect, but it works and it is better than
having the bee space totally wrong.