From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2014 22:53:43 +0100
> OK, are predictions of a decline in OSR under the moratorium real, or just
bluster generated by companies annoyed that their products will be off the
market?  From what I am hearing it is likely to be real.  Farmers seem more
reluctant to grow OSR in future - partly because they will have less
certainty of being able to control these young plant issues.

I asked the question of a local farmer who is also a beekeeper.  He replied:

‘I think that there will probably be little change in the area of OSR grown
in the next few years.

It will still be necessary to plant a break crop from cereals and WOSR
(winter oilseed rape) fits most systems as it is profitable, allows control
of grass weeds, ripens early so that it can be cut before wheat is ready,
and then gives a good opportunity to prepare a seedbed for the following
wheat crop.

Another reason is the new EU ruling that arable farms of over 30 Ha have to
grow 3 different crops from 2015 (what is known as the 3 crop rule) and one
choice will probably be WOSR.

The down side is that one or more insecticide sprays will be needed at early
establishment timing to control flea beetles which can have a devastating
effect on emerging seedlings. This has not been necessary in recent years as
the seed dressing has controlled this pest by specific targeting. It will
add extra cost and workload at a busy time but I doubt that many will
abandon the crop.’

Best wishes

Peter

52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W