From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 19:08:36 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

"I do know that in the yards of people claiming CCD I find nosema
ceranae."   How do you know it is Nosema ceranae?  It is so  similar to N. apis
through a microscope that the experienced staff at the  National Bee Unit at
York use a PCR to confirm their diagnosis via their  DNA.

"The research of Bailey showed that few virus issues happen in hives when
varroa is not present."  Certainly Norman Carreck (who worked with Bailey)
says this, but my memory tells me that Bailey's work, which mostly pre-dated
 varroa over here (UK), indicated that having too many hives in one place
was the  main cause of some virus problems.

Chris